New! Active prompt! Don’t worry, there won’t be too many of these.
Set your timer for five minute intervals. When it rings, move on to the next topic. Don’t think too hard.
- Turn on the radio. Re-tune to a random station, away from the sort of music or chat you usually listen to. Listen, truly listen for five minutes. Turn it off.*
- Now freewrite whatever is in your head
- The Fix
- Setting something on fire that doesn’t want to burn
- a radical haircut
* If you don’t have access to a radio, or maybe you just can’t bear the thought of listening to one (we all have our phobias) then just move straight on to freewriting.
25 minutes and you’re done!
- Write whatever you like prompted by each practice topic – fiction, non fiction, gobbledegook. It doesn’t matter, because these words are not “official”. Write without over-thinking, or stopping.
- Keep going, especially if it’s difficult, but not if it will make you give up.
- After five minutes switch to the next topic (unless you are completely swept away by something).